Utility Bill Assistance



Oregon LIHEAP Program

Community Action Agencies across Oregon administer the LIHEAP program. The program provides low-income residents, especially those who pay a large percentage of their income towards their utilities, with grants and assistance. Funds can pay home energy expenses. Additional support is offered and includes energy education, home weatherization, and bill payment assistance. Some funds can help Oregon families that are faced with a crisis.

Applications are accepted and processed at community action agencies across the state. Note that the homebound are entitled to and can request alternative application methods, and they can usually apply over the phone or in the mail. Some of the conditions for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program can vary by local county.

In general, eligibility is for households whose income is at or below 60 percent of the state’s median income. Funds can be used to pay utilities, with a focus on heating expenses. Low income renters or homeowners in Oregon can get assistance with paying to heat or cool their homes. LIHEAP will make direct payments to their electric or utility companies.

Crisis (emergency) benefits are for those Oregon families who are dangerously low on fuel, are at immediate risk of having their utilities turned off, or who have been impacted by a natural disaster. The application process is very short and approval can be quick.

Regular (cash) benefits are available every year. People need to apply for assistance annually, cash for bills is granted in larger amounts, and this component has a longer approval process.

Oregon offers the LIHEAP program on a first come, first serve basis, and of course each applicant needs to be qualified. After all funding has been disbursed, the financial assistance is no longer available until the following year, and only if the federal government funds the program. Any cash or grants paid out from LIHEAP are not offered on a monthly basis, but it is paid out as a lump sum that is sent directly to a fuel dealer or utility company. It is sent to your energy company on behalf of the homeowner.




The exact amount of any payment provided will vary. There are a few key factors that are set by the federal government, and that affect the size of any cash grants paid out including the individuals income, the number of people in the household, the type of fuel used, and the size and type of someone’s home. The highest amount of financial assistance paid out is given to those households with the highest energy costs/heating bills and the lowest income.

Seniors and the disabled can normally apply for LIHEAP first, before others. People who are considered less at risk, can apply after, during a different enrollment period. Your local Oregon community action agency will have full details.

If you are able to enroll in LIHEAP, the individual will still need to pay their bills while they are enrolled. In addition, many recipients of financial aid will also be eligible or enrolled in the energy conservation Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP).

Jackson County - ACCESS, Inc., 3630 Aviation Way, P.O. Box 4666, Medford, Oregon 97501, (541) 779-6691

Clackamas County – Apply for LIHEAP at Social Services, Oregon City, Oregon 97045, (503) 655-8641

Washington County - Community Action Organization, 1001 SW Baseline Street, Hillsboro, OR 97123, (503) 648-6646

Gilliam, Morrow, Umatilla, Wheeler, and Umatilla Tribe County - Community Action Program of East Central Oregon (CAPECO), 721 SE 3rd St., Suite D, Pendleton, OR 97801, (541) 278-5671

Clatop, Columbia, and Tillamook County - Community Action Team, Inc., 125 N. 17th Street, St. Helens, OR 97051, (503) 397-3511

Baker, Grant, Union, and Wallowa County - Community Connection of Northeast Oregon, Inc., 104 Elm Street, La Grande, Oregon 97850, (541) 963-3186

Harney and Malheur County - Community in Action, 49 NW 1st Street, Suite 6, Ontario, OR 97914, (541) 889-1060

Benton, Lincoln and Linn County - Community Services Consortium, 250 Broadalbin Street, SW, Suite A, Albany, OR 97321, (541) 928-6335

Lane County - Human Services Commission of Lane County, 125 E. 8th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401, (541) 682-3797

Klamath and Lake Community Action Agency, 1803 Main Street, Klamath Falls, OR 97601, (541) 882-3500

Hood River, Sherman, and Wasco County - Mid-Columbia Community Action Council, Inc., 312 East 4th Street, The Dalles, Oregon 97058, (541) 298-5131




Marion and Polk County - Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency, 2475 Center Street, NE, Salem, OR 97301, (503) 585-6232

Multnomah County Dept of Human Services, Community Services Division, 421 SW Oak Street, Suite 200, Portland, OR 97204-1623, (503) 988-6295

Crook, Deschutes, and Jefferson County - Neighbor Impact, 2303 SW First Street, Redmond, OR 97756, dial (503) 548-2380

Coos, Curry, Coquille Tribes, and Western Douglas County - Oregon Coast Community Action, 2110 Newmark Avenue, Coos Bay, Oregon 97420, (541) 888-7094

Oregon Human Development Corporation, 9600 S.W. Oak St., Ste. 565, Tigard, OR 97223, (503) 245-2600

Douglas and Josephine County - United Community Action Network (UCAN), 280 Kenneth Ford Drive, Roseburg, Oregon 97470, (541) 492-3501

Yamhill, and Grand Ronde Tribe County - Yamhill Community Action Partnership, 800 NE 2nd, McMinnville, Oregon 97128-0621, (503) 472-0457