Utility Bill Assistance



LIHEAP in New Hampshire.

The New Hampshire Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, is administered by the Office of Energy and Planning (OEP). The state organization partners with community action agencies and social service groups across the state to provide utility and heating bill assistance to qualified low income families. The focus on this Fuel Assistance Program is on seniors, families with young children, the elderly, and disabled individuals.

Community Action Agencies in New Hampshire accept and process applications across the state. However the money that is used for paying utility bills comes from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Homeowners and renters are eligible for the Fuel Assistance Program.

The government has limited resources, and there are some years when the amount of funds that are available for LIHEAP is reduced by Congress. So when grants and funds do become available, the New Hampshire Fuel Assistance Program provides benefits to qualified low income and working poor families and households. A focus is on paying utility bill and heating costs during the cold winter, however occasionally some money may be offered for summer cooling bills.

If you are one of the many families or individuals who has trouble paying for heat or your oil during the winter season, then the New Hampshire Office of Energy and Planning Fuel Assistance Program (FAP), or LIHEAP, may be able to provide some short term help.

The NH Office of Energy and Planning offers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program in cooperation with the six primary Community Action Agencies (see below). They offer services to households across the state as federal government funding is made available. The community action agencies to call to apply at are listed below.






Unfortunately not all callers will get an immediate response, and not all people will be able to enroll in the Fuel Assistance Program. The demand is high, and funds are limited. When you call a local community action agency, you may receive a voice recording due to the high volume of callers and appointments that are taken each day. Families and individuals are double-booked every 15 minutes for appointments with a case manager. While each office will have its own recording or message, in general the recording will ask you to leave the following information. You will be asked whether or not you are a renter; the best times and days for appointments; and you will also need to leave your phone number, name, and mailing address.

If you are scheduled for an appointment, you will need to bring proof of your need. The items you need to bring with you will usually be listed on the appointment sheet that is provided by the community action agency. It will usually be proof of household members, income, and other financial data. Special circumstances may require additional information.

Community Action Partnership of Strafford County
Dover, NH 03821-0160
Primary telephone number is (603) 516-8130

Community Action Program of Belknap-Merrimack Counties, Inc.
Concord, NH 03302-1016
Dial (603) 225-3295

Southern New Hampshire Services, Inc. (SNHS)
Manchester, NH 03108-5040
Primary phone number is (603) 668-8010
This community action agency processes LIHEAP/fuel assistance applications for Hillsborough and Rockingham County.

Southwestern Community Services, Inc.
63 Community Way
Keene, NH 03431-0603
Main phone number is (603) 352-7512
If you live in Cheshire or Sullivan County, dial this agency.

Tri-County Community Action Program, Inc.
30 Exchange Street
Berlin, NH 03570-1911
Main telephone: (603) 752-7001
Coos, Carroll, and Grafton County residents can apply here.




By: Jon McNamara


[Home] [Contact] [About Us] [Privacy Policy]