Utility Bill Assistance


Tennessee LIHEAP program

The Federal Department of Health and Human Services pays for LIHEAP, and funds and grants are sent to the state of Tennessee in order to help low income disabled adults and eligible elderly pay their utility and cooling bills. While anyone who is very low income can apply, primarily those who pay a large percentage of their household income towards their utility bills will receive assistance. Money can pay regular bills, and a crisis component can help address the immediate expenses or any potential disconnections that families in Tennessee may be faced with. The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program is offered by almost 20 community action agencies across the state.

Over 60,000 Tennessee families benefit from the LIHEAP program and its various services every year. Thousands of families are able to avoid a disconnection of the utilities. Eligibility for the energy program is based on established federal government poverty guidelines as well as guidelines set by the state. Activities provide consist of financial assistance and grants that can supplement home energy costs, including heating and summer cooling bills. All payments are made directly to the home energy provider or utility company.

If you are interested in applying, call an agency below. Keep in mind that applicants must meet income eligibility levels, which in most years is at or below 150% of the United States Poverty Guidelines. Only one-time assistance is provided by LIHEAP, and it only runs as long as funding is available.

Blount County Community Action Agency, Inc
3509 Tuckaleechee Pike
Maryville, TN 37803
(865) 983-8411

Bradley-Cleveland Community Services Agency
155 Sixth Street, S.E.
Cleveland, TN 37320
(423) 479-4111

Chattanooga Human Services
Address - 501 West 12th Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
(423) 757-5551

Clarksville-Montgomery County Community Action Agency
150 Lafayette Road
Clarksville, TN 37040
(931) 896-1800






Delta Human Resources Agency helps people Fayette, Lauderdale & Tipton Counties
915 Hwy 51 South
Covington, TN 38019
(901) 476-5226

Douglas-Cherokee Economic Authority, Inc.
534 E First North Street
Morristown, TN 37816
(423) 587-4500
Provides LIHEAP in Monroe, Cocke, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, & Sevier Counties

East Tennessee Human Resource Agency (ETHRA)
9111 Cross Park Drive, Suite D100
Knoxville, TN 37923
(865) 691-2551
Offers utility assistance in Anderson, Union, Campbell, Claiborne, Morgan, and Scott Counties

Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee
2247 Western Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37950-1650
(865) 546-3500

Mid-Cumberland Community Action Agency
233 Legends Drive, Suite 103
Lebanon, TN 37088-0310
(615) 742-1113 or 1137 or (615) 453-2243
serving Cheatham, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Trousdale, Williamson & Wilson Counties

Highland Rim Economic Corporation
213 College Street
Erin, TN 37061
(931) 289-4101
Residents of Dickson, Houston, Humphreys & Stewart Counties can apply for assistance here.

Metropolitan Action Commission - serving Davidson County
802 2nd Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37201
(615) 862-8860

Mid-East Community Action Agency
1000 Bradford Way Suite 500
Kingston, TN 37763
(865) 354-0450
serving Loudon & Roane Counties

Northwest Tennessee Economic Development Council helps people in Benton, Carroll, Crockett, Dyer, Gibson, Henry, Lake, Obion & Weakley Counties
231 South Wilson Street
Dresden, TN 38225
Dial (731) 364-3228 to apply for utility assistance

South Central Human Resource Agency
1437 Winchester Highway
Fayetteville, TN 37334
(931) 433-7182
serving Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Giles, Hickman, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Marshall, Maury, Moore, Perry & Wayne Counties

Southwest Human Resource Agency
1527 White Avenue
Henderson, TN 38240
(731) 989-5111
Chester, Haywood, Decatur, Hardeman, Hardin, Henderson, Madison, & McNairy Counties

Shelby County Community Services Agency
3772 South Hickory Ridge Mall, Suite 516
Memphis, TN 38115
Dial (901) 222-4315

South East Tennessee Human Resource Agency
serving Bledsoe, Grundy, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Polk, Rhea & Sequatchie Counties
312 Resource Road
Dunlap, TN 37327
(423) 949-2191

Upper Cumberland Human Resource Agency
Dial this location if you live in serving Cannon, Clay, Cumberland, DeKalb, Fentress, Jackson, Macon, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, Smith, Van Buren, Warren or White Counties
580 South Jefferson Avenue, Suite B
Cookeville, TN 38501
Phone (931) 528-1127

Upper East Tennessee Human Development Agency, Inc.
Location : 301 Louis Street
Kingsport, TN 37662
(423) 246-6180
Oversees the counties of Carter, Greene, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, Washington, and Hancock