Utility Bill Assistance


Washington LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program).

Qualified low income families in Washington can receive assistance with paying utility and heating bills from the LIHEAP program. The federal government created and funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program provides qualified residents with a one-time cash benefit/grant to be used for energy bills or assisting people with avoiding a shut off of their service. Tens of thousands of low income families, seniors, and disabled in Washington benefit from LIHEAP every year.

While many people are eligible, and do benefit, the exact amount of any payment issues will be determined by many factors including the applicants household size, income, fuel type, and geographic location. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the state of Washington oversee the program at the federal and state level, and they set guidelines on who can receive assistance for paying utility and heating bills. Specifically, the program is administered by your local community action agency or not-for-profit agencies in your county process applications and answer questions. Contact the community action agency in your county or town in order to apply for utility assistance.

LIHEAP can offer direct financial assistance, outreach, education, and energy counseling. An overdue utility bill or shut off notice is not required to receive LIHEAP assistance in Washington. That being said, emergency assistance or crisis grants are available to households whose utility or heating service has been disconnected and for homeowners whose furnace is determined unsafe to operate or non-operational.

One-time payments are offered by Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. This can be paid out to all income eligible households. In order to sign up and enroll, applicants must prove they are low income and they also need to prove that they are responsible for paying their home heating bills.




LIHEAP Furnace Assistance may be an option for Washington households that qualify for reconnection assistance, but do not have heating supply, oil or an operating furnace for their residence. Some of the furnace benefits provided can be repair, tune-up, or even furnace replacement. Any of these resources can be utilized to restore a vital heat supply to the home or apartment. The furnace program is also operated by local community action agencies.

 Another time to get help is when the state of Washington declares an emergency situation. Under this declaration, government funds may be used for addressing either supply or weather emergencies. In the event of or extreme weather conditions (like cold or summer heat) or a weather-related natural disaster, the government department will develop an appropriate response designed to eliminate the threat to life and health. This can include replacement of fuel tanks, purchase of fans, heating system and water heater repair or replacement, or providing air conditioners.

Benton Franklin Community Action Committee
720 West Court Street, Pasco, WA 99301-4178
(509) 545-4042

Blue Mountain Action Council of Columbia, Garfield, and Walla Walla
342 Catherine Street, Walla Walla, WA 99362-3057
Telephone number (509) 529-4980

Central Area Motivation Program (CAMP) supports City of Seattle
722 18th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122-0437
(206) 812-4940

Chelan-Douglas Community Action Council
620 Lewis Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Telephone number (509) 662-6156

Clark County Department of Community Services
1601 E. 4th Plain Blvd., Bg 17, Suite C214
Vancouver, WA 98668-5000
Dial (360) 397-2130

Coastal Community Action Program
117 E. 3rd Street
Aberdeen, WA 98520
Call (360) 533-5100
Offers LIHEAP in the counties of Grays Harbor and Pacific

Community Action Center Whitman County
350 SE Fairmont Road
Pullman, WA 99163
(509) 334-9147

Community Action Council of Lewis, Mason & Thurston Counties
420 Golf Club Road. SE, Suite 100, Lacey, WA 98503
Main telephone (360) 438-1100

El Centro De La Raza
2524 16th Ave. South
Seattle, WA 98114
Call (206) 957-4613

Hope Source of Kittitas County
700 E. Mountain View Avenue
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Primary telephone: (509) 925-1448

10675 Willows Rd., NE, Ste. 275
Redmond, WA 98073-3577
Telephone is (425) 869-6000
Supports North and East King County

Kitsap Community Resources
Address - 845 8th Street
Bremerton, WA 98337
Dial (360) 473-2004 for LIHEAP

Lower Columbia Community Action Council
1526 Commerce Avenue
Longview, WA 98632
Telephone: (360) 425-3430
Supports Cowlitz and Wahkiakum

Metropolitan Development Council Pierce County
721 South Fawcett, Room 201
Tacoma, WA 98402
Telephone number (253) 383-3921
Pierce County and City of Tocoma

Multi-Service Center is for South King County
1200 S 336th Street, Federal Way, WA 98003-6347
Telephone number (253) 838-7678

Neighborhood House, Inc.
905 Spruce Street, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104
Telephone: (206) 461-8430
Regions include City of Seattle and South King County

Northwest Community Action Center
706 Rentschler Lane
Toppenish, WA 98948
Telephone: (509) 865-7630
South Yakima County

OIC of Washington
815 Fruitvale Boulevard
Yakima, WA 98902-1922
Telephone number (509) 248-6751

Okanogan County Community Action Council
424 South 2nd Avenue
Okanogan, WA 98840
Telephone is (509) 422-4041

Olympic Community Action Programs
803 West Park Avenue
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Telephone number (360) 385-2571
Counties are Clallam and Jefferson




Opportunity Council
1111 Cornwall Avenue, Suite C
Bellingham, WA 98225-5039
Telephone - (360) 734-5121
Low income or Island, San Juan and Whatcom should call here

Pierce County Community Connections Community Action Program
3602 Pacific Avenue, Suite 200
Tacoma, WA 98418
Telephone (253) 798-6266

Rural Resources Community Action
956 South Main Street, Suite A
Colville, WA 99114-2310
(509) 684-8421
Counties include Ferry, Pend Oreille and Stevens

Seattle Conservation Corps
7727 63rd Avenue, NE
Seattle, WA 98115
Telephone number (206) 684-0190

Skagit County Community Action Agency
330 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Telephone number (360) 416-7585

Snohomish County Human Services CAP
3000 Rockafeller Avenue, Mail Stop 305
Everett, WA 98201
Call (425) 388-7244

Solid Ground
1501 N. 45th Street, Seattle, WA 98103-6708
Telephone (206) 694-6805

Spokane Neighborhood Action Programs
3102 West Fort Wright Drive
Spokane, WA 99224
Telephone number is (509) 456-7111

Washington Gorge Action Program Council
1250 East Steuben, Bingen, WA 98605
Telephone is (509) 493-2662
Counties supported Klickitat and Skamania