Utility Bill Assistance



Alabama LIHEAP program

The federal government funded Low-Income High Energy Assistance Program, which is commonly referred to as LIHEAP, can provide financial assistance and cash grants to help low-income individuals pay their energy bills. Money is offered to the state and community action agencies in Alabama from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services block grant program. Most of the assistance is provided during the winter months, but there could be some funds available for assisting with paying summer cooling and air conditioning bills.

Income levels are in place. Utility assistance is only offered for resident of the state of Alabama who meet income levels. The total income of the applicant will need to be in an approved range, which will be based on the number of people in your household. For example, an income limit of around $50,000 per year is in place for a household of up to seven members.

The LIHEAP program is administered by several community resource agencies, such as the Salvation Army, social service offices, and community action agencies. The program is also sponsored by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs.

If you apply and meet eligibility requirements, individuals will receive a credit payment which would be applied to their monthly utility bill(s). Normally tens of thousands of low income families in Alabama receive assistance from the program and the two main components, which are listed below.

Crisis Utility Bill Assistance- Provides emergency energy assistance to qualified households who are faced with a crisis, such as a disconnection. Applicants need to have either a final notice or upcoming disconnection of services. Normally up to a few hundred dollars may be paid out to Alabama families as part of the LIHEAP crisis program.

Regular Energy Assistance- Can address the regular, ongoing costs of utility bills this program will provide a credit to qualified applicants. This component can be paid out at most once per year, and clients need to continue to make payments on their account.






Where to apply for Low-Income High Energy Assistance Program/LIHEAP in Alabama

Alabama Council on Human Relations covers Lee County
319 West Glenn, Auburn, AL 36831-0409, (334) 821-8336

Chambers-Tallapoosa-Coosa Community Action Committee
170 South Broadnax Street, Dadeville, AL 36853, 256-825-4287

Community Action Agency of South Alabama – Provides LIHEAP in counties of Marengo, Wilcox, Clarke, Monroe, Conecuh, Escambia, & Baldwin Counties
26440 North Pollard Road, Daphne, AL 36526, 251-626-2646

Community Action Agency of Huntsville/Madison & Limestone Counties
3516 Stringfield Road, Huntsville, AL 35810, dial 256-851-9800

Community Action Agency of Northeast Alabama
1481 McMurdy Avenue South, Rainsville, AL 35986, call 256-638-4430
Provides services to Jackson, Marshall, Dekalb, Cherokee, Blount, & St. Clair Counties

Community Action Agency of Northwest Alabama
Lauderdale, Colbert & Franklin Counties
745 Thompson Street, Florence, AL 35630, 256-766-4330

Community Action Agency of Talladega, Clay, Randolph, Calhoun & Cleburne Counties
136 North Court Street, Talladega, AL 35161, 256-362-6611

Community Action of Etowah County
624 Broad Street, Gadsden, AL 35902, 256-546-9271

Community Action Partnership of North Alabama
Lawrence, Morgan & Cullman Counties are served
1909 Central Parkway SW, Decatur, AL 35601, 256-355-7843

Community Service Program of West Alabama is for the areas of Lamar, Fayette, Tuscaloosa, Bibb, Hale, Greene, Sumter & Choctaw Counties
601 Black Bears Way, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401, dial 205-752-5429




Eleventh Area of Alabama Opportunity Action Committee - Shelby & Chilton Counties
5 Village Square, Clanton, AL 35405, 205-755-1204

Elmore-Autauga Community Action Committee
Residents of Perry, Dallas, Autauga & Elmore Counties can call regarding LIHEAP
Wetumpka, AL 36092, main number 334-567-4361

Human Resources Development Corporation - Barbour, Henry, Houston, Geneva, & Coffee Counties
101 George Wallace Drive, Enterprise, AL 36331, dial 334-347-0881

Jefferson County Committee for Economic Opportunity
300 Eighth Avenue West, Birmingham, AL 35204, call 205-327-7500

Macon-Russell Community Action Agency
102 Lakeview Drive, Tuskegee, AL 36083, call 334-727-6100

Marion-Winston Counties Community Action Committee
372 7th Avenue, SW, Hamilton, AL 35570, main number is 205-921-4224

Mobile Community Action Agency supports Washington & Mobile Counties
204 East Main Street, Prichard, AL 36610, call 251-457-5700

Montgomery Community Action Agency
1066 Adams Avenue, Montgomery, AL 36104, phone: 334-263-3474

Organized Community Action Program is for Lowndes, Butler, Crenshaw, Covington, Pike, Dale, & Bullock Counties
507 North Three Notch Road, Troy, AL 36081, dial 334-566-1712

Pickens Community Action & Development Corporation
Farm Bureau Building, P.O., Carrollton, AL 35447, 205-367-8166

Walker County Community Action Agency
644 19th Street W, Jasper, AL 35501, main number is 205-221-4010

Each of those agencies receives funding from the federal government. Click here for details and examples of how much money the Alabama agencies may receive.